1913 - 2013
There has been a school in the village of Sicklinghall since at least 1850 when Mrs Fenton Scott of Woodhall built a single storey school house. Since then, the school has played an integral role in village life.
Sicklinghall School has consistently had a policy of introducing improvements, from making sure that each child had their own pencil and a chair with a back to it in the 1890's, to the creation of a new building at the edge of the village in 1913, to the beautiful extension completed in 2011.
2011 marked a major milestone in the story of this well loved school: the rebuilding of a major part of the school's facilities. An investment of over £400,000 resulted in replacing the old classrooms with brand new, very attractive, practical, light and airy classrooms which are supported by the most up to date IT equipment.
On 3rd November 1864, Sicklinghall School was inspected by Rev. Mr Sharpe, who concluded:
'This school has improved since last Inspection. The elementary knowledge is fair except Arithmetic which is backward. The tone of the Reading still requires care. The religious knowledge of the old children is satisfactory'.
Attendance varied with the weather and the time of year from 16 to 40; children might even be absent from school in order to watch the fox hunt.
The building of the new School marked a turning point in the life of Sicklinghall School. The purpose built red brick construction offered space, light and heating, something that pupils had not enjoyed before as the previous school was notoriously dark and drafty. A substantial play area was created, toilets were provided for boys and girls, and a bicycle shed was installed! The gas lighting, however, was not replaced with electric until 1957!
In October 1970, Sicklinghall School started to use two prefabricated classrooms which had been previously used in the 'West Riding'.
Also that year, the headmaster, Mr Douglas Child, notes in the school logbook that pupils visited Crackhill Cottage to watch the investiture of Prince Charles as Prince of Wales on TV. Fundraising activities included Jumble sales, whist drives and carol singing, and the local policeman taught cycling proficiency.
This was the year when Gervase Phinn, then Inspector of English, visited the school; the head remarked that 'the children were spellbound' by his storytelling and discussion. It was also the year when school was officially delegated the responsibility for its own budget - all finances having previously been managed by the education authority. By 1994, school life included a range of activities including sport and dance - football was a particular favourite and there were were regular matches with other nearby primary schools.
Following an extension to the school in 1999, giving it an extra classroom, a new entrance hall, a staff room and an office, a further library extension was opened in 2003. Works were made possible with funds raised by parents and teachers who held dinner dances at Linton Springs Hotel, a musical evening and two open garden days.
The sum of £400,000 is spent creating new classrooms, designed with both educational and environmental aspects taken into account, in order that the children can make the most of their beautiful environment and surroundings. In June 2011, the School celebrated being awarded an Outstanding Ofsted Report. In 2012, reflecting the hard work and dedication of all the Staff in school, pupil numbers grew to 64 .................... and the story continues ................................